How Much Will Florida Child Support Be? 3

One of the most common questions of divorcing parents in Florida is, “How much child support will I pay?” is followed closely by, “How much child support will I pay? In January 2011, the formula for calculating Florida child support amounts in substantial time-sharing situations changed.

The definition of “substantial time sharing” was changed dramatically, starting in January, 2011. This change is important because once the family meets the definition of substantial time sharing, the “gross up” child support calculation method kicks in.

Another change to the Florida calculation of child-support is that the cost of child care is no longer reduced by 25%. The parent paying child care costs now gets full credit when determining if any child support will actually be paid between parents.

Once you have calculated the total family income, the Child Support Guidelines found in the Florida divorce laws of Chapter 61, has a child support chart. Once you find that “Guidelines amount” on the chart, it is a matter of working through the formula on the Florida Child Support Guidelines Worksheet.

It can be tricky calculating the amount of child support in Florida family law cases. Don’t worry. We have you covered in the DIY Divorce Crash Course. My step by step system guides parents through every step of representing yourself in a Florida divorce, including a comprehensive Parenting Plan and the Florida child support calculation.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 thoughts on “How Much Will Florida Child Support Be?

  • Tom Chase

    Can someone help? My divorce agreement states that I pay a certain amount of child support for 3 children ($1800/mth, $600/mth/child). It also states that if it should become a situation where any one of the children should be staying with me to the point where it would be considered “substantial time-sharing”, that regardless, it will still be considered as though it was not “substantial time-sharing” and shall not effect the monthly child support amount. I agreed to that only because I wasn’t worried about going through the trouble of changing the support if it became 40 or 50% HOWEVER I now have my oldest child living with me full time and she essentially refuses to visit with her mother. The mother does not want to give up that daughters child support and is taking me to court in late August (because I stopped paying that child’s portion back in March). Does she actually have a case?? I cannot believe for a second that a judge would allow the definition of substantial time-sharing to include 100% of the time, with essentially no timesharing! I really appreciate any assistance or guidance anyone can provide. Thanks!

      • Tom Chase

        I will be petitioning a change in child support due to the change in residence but did not know I needed to also petition to modify change in residence? Also, regardless of the court order, is it not possible that once the judge hears the case, that he could simply agree with me and modify the child support that very moment (and not make me pay back what I have withheld)? We did provide a letter to my “ex” asking her to agree to these changes back in March but she refused so at least we made an effort. Since she refused, we decided not to petition the courts and instead leave the ball in her court – which of course she is now pursuing it.

Comments are closed.